Wednesday, December 2, 2009

After the fall from grace?

Life has a tendency to grow and develop just in time to crumble and leave one feeling more desolate than ever. The higher you climb, the harder you fall, I guess.

But what then? What happens after the fall, after your butt hits the ground and your are bruised and covered in dust and disappointment? Do you lie there and wallow in self pity, rolling in the dusty earth, crying about how you fell? Or do you get your ass up, dust your pants off, look around and say "What now?" I would love to say that I just jumped up off the dusty ground and looked for the next best opportunity.

I didn't.

I wallowed, and I cried, and I acted like a big, silly baby. I went home to Mommy, to be held in the arms of my family until I could get my mind back together again. Never before this recent set of struggles had I even believed that my bubble could burst. I always thought I would land softly and spring back immediately.

Just last night, as I lie awake on my best friend's couch, I thought to myself, Have I hit my knees enough yet? Is this the bottom? Have I fallen far enough? When again will I have the strength to get up and stand up proudly and with purpose? I can safely say that after three months of feeling lost, that I am just now beginning to get my ass up off of the ground, and am taking stock of my dusty rump, and the bumps and bruises which resulted from my fall.

But I wonder, when will I stand tall again?

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Jess. Things will turn around. In the mean time just take it one day at a time and enjoy the time with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times we are called upon to put on the sackcloth, sit in the ashes, and wail against the heavens. Even Job railed against what happened. Will you stand tall? Yes. Will you be called upon again to sit in the dust? More than likely, as we all do. Still, we rise, dust off, and continue.

    ReplyDelete