Monday, April 6, 2009

Day 2, 33 left to go . . .

Day two of living with my sister, Angela. I've gained 5 pounds, in 48 hours, and I am currently working on a red wine buzz. She cooks. I drink and do homework, re-searching aspects of my life. Life is beautiful, as they say in Europe, or in better places than here. My sister has no appreciation for wine, but I can forgive her that. Besides, I just taught her a new trick: we can now make the world's smallest wine glass symphony.

Tonight, she cooked while I did some research for my final paper. It's depressing and raw work, leaving me mentally exhausted and emotionally taxed. After a couple of hours, I took an emotional health break while she whipped up grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and soup. Now we sit side-by-side on the couch, Angela playing with the wine glass, totally engrossed in rubbing a finger on the rim of my wine glass. She makes music, and I make word art. Who said we weren't talented? "It's fascinating, this sound." In the same breath she adds, "I need to get out more." Ha! So do I! She dislikes most wine, but appreciates its beauty, the way it swirls in the hand-blown glass. I appreciate both aspects, but am slightly engrossed in research, and I need to get back to it.

However, it's these moments laughing with my sister that I appreciate, much more than researching a dark topic. I'm happy researching the bottom of this dark wine.

2 comments:

  1. Red wine is nice, but it gives horrible headaches. So does white. So does Scotch. Especially Scotch Manhattans (Rob Roys). So does Irish. So does Rye Old Fashions. Black Russians destroy brain cells. Tequilla makes you blind. I've never drunk gasoline. You didn't need to know that. But it's good to have someone else cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life as seen through the red reside of wine is, well, red.

    ReplyDelete