Thursday, June 25, 2009

How Others See . . . .

Last night was Mix at 6, a Wednesday night tradition where I do business. It's a shopping center/office complex with a lot of good things to offer, including a live band and plenty of interaction. In short, I'll never be lonely here in Charlotte as long as there's wine and a band. And wine. And sushi. That's the mix of last night. But my point is?

I recently began working out at the Ballantyne YMCA, which is located right where I work. It's a small Y, but it's bright and light, lined with windows and great exercise equipment. Really, all it's missing is a pool (bummer, I know). So I've been working out either before or after work. Yesterday I chose to sleep in rather than get up super ridiculously early to work out. So my day went like this: meetings, meetings, computer work, meetings, Mix @ 6. At 5 p.m., I got my ass to the gym for a quick workout (hint: the first time I make an excuse is the beginning of the end for a work out. I know this about myself, and am trying to fix that), then made it to the Mix @ 6:30. That's fine.

The group I met was like, "wow you're crazy! Making it to the gym, and you look great!" (I was so sweaty, even though I showered after sweating and re-applied makeup). Then compliments began raining down on my head like I had missed a thunderstorm on the weather report. I honestly didn't know how to take them. I'm not great at accepting compliments anyway, but this was abnormal. Four of us at the table, 3 directing super happy pretty-girl compliments at me. It was weird. Pleasant, but weird. I felt like interjecting, and telling them that I was a big fat fraud.

I started working out because I gained 30 pounds.
I put makeup on as war paint, and because I'm having a monumental breakout. Ugh!
I dress nicely now because I just bought all new "big kid clothes" because I worked in a hospital for 5 years. Scrubs don't fit the business world very well, or so they tell me.

Does everyone feel this way at some point or another? I think probably, but it still feels like I'm the only fraud slinking around here. ; )

3 comments:

  1. I still have a youthful wardrobe. It bothers me at times, but I don't have the money to revamp my closet. So, I buy a piece now and then, and rely upon my womanly poise and carriage to "sophisticate" my youthful clothing.
    War makeup - I know that well.

    I, too, am trying to initiate positive change in my life. I am working yoga/pilates back into my schedule, and while I am at it, I am trying to become a morning person. It's a one day at a time, but so far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wardrobe changes: I bought a vest with more than 20 pockets so I look like a lost fisherman, but I'm only posing as an adventurer. I also bought jeans at Good Will with the intention of chopping them off to shorts. Clothes are mainly costumes for the day for the purpose of dress-up. The only time I used make-up was when I went on stage. I did use after-shave when I was younger and it mattered. And I had fallen for the Old Spice commercials. I work out three times a week for cardiac and toning. Exactly what I'm supposed to be toning has yet to be explained to me. I get up early because I put off too much that I didn't get done the night before. Now it's a habit. Nobody else is up either and quiet is good. Sometimes insomnia gets me an early start as well. I used to be able to go all night but that gives me flu like symptoms now. Getting up early gives the joints time to catch up with the spirit. By joints I mean knees, ankles, etc.; thought I needed to explain that since joints is a multiple use word and multiple use words deliver confusion and ambiguity. I guess that's enough about positive changes. Self confidence is always a good change. Depends could be another change, but I haven't reached that stage yet. I ramble. Dress well. Eat dark colored fresh foods. Avoid circus peanut candies--no one knows what is in them or why they exist for they have nothing to do with the circus and nor are they peanuts. Maybe to delude people with peanut allergies. Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The circus peanut is the perfect metaphor for what I am talking about. It's neither/nor, but can it also be either/or? Interesting, and somehow thought provoking ; ) Thanks, Tom.

    ReplyDelete